We have a whole slew of content about snacks. And there’s a good reason for this. When we’re hangry and poorly prepared is often when we make decisions based on cravings and convenience. So I’m going to keep sharing more ideas and more favorites to help make feeding yourself and your family easy, delicious, and nourishing.
Grab and Go Snacks to Keep Energy High Throughout the Day
Always keep in mind the trifecta of healthy eating: clean protein + healthy fats + colorful carbs. I try to aim for two of these in a snack — sure, three is ideal but not always realistic and I get that. I’m a busy mama too!
Here are 10 that are sure to be fast favorites in your house too:
- Cherries and beef jerky
- Cucumber and carrot sticks with hummus
- Trail mix (3 nuts, 2 needs, and 2 dried fruit)
- Apple slices and sun butter
- Turkey slice wrapped around either a pickle or cheese stick
- Boiled egg and orange slices
- Homemade popcorn (cooked in coconut oil, drizzled with butter and sea salt)
- Sheep or goat cheese and grain-free crackers
- Roasted almonds and dried apricots
Healthy Swaps for Your Favorite Snacks
If you’re into candy bars –>
If you’re into fruit snacks –>
- Fresh fruit (I know it seems obvious, but keeping fruit accessible does help more fruit get eaten)
- Homemade gummies with gelatin
If you’re into trail mix –>
Make your own to eliminate inflammatory oils, tons of sugar, food dyes, excessive salt, and whatever else is hidden in the prepackaged varieties. Head to Trader Joe’s or the co-op and pick up a bunch of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. Mix it all up and keep it in a clear jar on the counter top. Maybe add some Enjoy Life chocolate chips for a little sweet treat. It’s beautiful and easy for the family grab a scoop when hunger hits.
If you’re into ice cream (and who isn’t?) –>
- Banana “Nice” cream — Slice bananas into coins and freeze on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Throw frozen bananas in the food processor or high-speed blender and pulverize until it becomes like soft serve. Add a bit of full-fat coconut milk or a little almond milk to thin, if needed. Top with dark chocolate shavings, nuts or seeds, or fresh berries. Throw a dollop of nut butter in the blender for a really delicious combo.