Who isn’t up for a little nibble when it combines peanut butter and chocolate? It’s a simple taste, yet among my favorites.
I like whole real food, and even better if it’s convenient. So I put a little TLC into these and they hit the mark — and they fill me right up! I can grab a bite between seeing clients in our busy Nutrition Response Testing practice. I pop a few into Odin’s lunch, and the girls grab some after their rowing and gymnastics practice.
In this blog, I share my attempt at recreating a peanut butter and chocolate version of the Perfect Bar — a packaged whole food snack bar that I love. That version includes oats, while the version below is grain-free, if that is something you need or prefer. If you’re not sure, try them both and let me know your favorite!
For the record, they’re also FABULOUS chopped into banana nice cream for a late night snack.;)
Homemade Perfect Bars
- 1 cup peanut butter could substitute your preferred nut or seed butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 ½ cups ground flax seed also called flax meal
- ½ cup hemp seeds also called hemp hearts
- 4 scoops collagen I use Vital Proteins collagen peptides
- ½ cup chocolate chips I use either Nestle Simply Delicious or Enjoy Life
- With a sturdy wooden spoon, mix the peanut butter and honey together first.
- Once mashed together, add the flax seeds, hemp seeds, and collagen.
- Fold in the chocolate chips together at the end for the delicious Perfect Bar texture. It'll be thick!
- Hand press onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet. I put another piece of parchment between my hand and the dough as it helps me not to stick as I'm patting it down into a big square. You can make them as thin or thick as you'd like.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Once firm, cut into bite sized squares for easy grabbing.
- Store in the refrigerator. Or these freeze well for later use.