What is life without comfort food? Although I’ve removed many things from my diet to optimize my health, I still get to have all my favorites, I just have to do them differently to avoid a crash in how I feel or operate.
Whether it’s something sweet (like caramel rolls on Thanksgiving morning), a great dinner roll to mop up a bowl of soup (thank you to Danielle Walker and her cheddar biscuits done with goat cheese), or a breakfast favorite like waffles, I have found tried and true recipes over the years that give my family and I whatever we are looking to nibble on.
This week we’ve got an egg, grain, and dairy free waffle (with exception of butter) that is so good it reminds of an Eggo! It’s a recipe our oils guru, Michelle, perfected when her son couldn’t eat eggs. Previously it was our favorite grain-free waffle, light and fluffy. Without the eggs it’s a thinner waffle with a divine chew from the flax egg — we now make this one almost weekly. I encourage you to try it with your family as you welcome new healthy habits into the new year.
Grain-Free Egg-Free Waffles
- Waffle iron
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (Kerrygold preferred) melted
- 2 flax eggs Combine 2 Tbsp flax meal and 4 Tbsp hot water, stir, and let sit for a few minutes. It gets gelatinous like an egg.
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender.
- Brush your waffle iron with coconut oil or butter.
- Tip: Small waffles tend to work better than big ones.