With the cold snap that’s hit in the last week or two I have definitely been on a soup run. I could eat soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner, though my dinner crew can be a tough crowd sometimes if I serve too many leftovers or even different soups too many nights in a row.
This bunch needs a T-bone or burgers thrown in there to mix it up, but I’ve always got really good homemade broth that I need to put to use, so there’s always a good excuse for a soup or stew.
And, truly, any dinner that can be done in the slow cooker is a winner to me. There’s nothing like throwing it all together while making lunches the night before, so that all I need to do in the morning is toss it in and turn it on.
The house smells awesome, I feel like a rock star and we are all well fed.
How to feed your family whole food organic meals on a budget is a hot topic right now and this recipe will help you succeed in doing that. Just think of what you can do with the time saved by using your slow cooker tonight!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion-medium chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2-3 cups cannellini beans sometimes I use them whole and sometimes I puree for a creamy chili
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups homemade chicken broth
- shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- sour cream for garnish
- avocado for garnish
- Heat olive oil in skillet.
- Chop and add onion, salt and pepper, add to skillet. Saute until soft.
- While onions are sautéing, chop chicken into cubes and run beans through blender if you'd like them pureed and place both in slow cooker.
- Add onions to slow cooker with garlic, oregano and cumin.
- Turn on low for 4-6 hours depending upon size of slow cooker (the big ones cook up faster in my experience).
- Prep the garnishes and serve.
What’s your favorite dish for the slow cooker?