Do you have a hard time getting supplements into your kids? One of the methods we love and feature in our At-Home Health Manual is to make gummies. We know that kids like gummies of all types, and that’s why gummy vitamins line the shelves of pharmacies now. But when our kids are on custom nutrition programs, we need to get more creative. Enter homemade gummy vitamins!
It’s easy to stir in powder and liquid supplements into the juice mixture before it sets up. If you need help figuring out proportions for your specific situations, ask us at your next visit.
A note about ingredients: Gelatin, if sourced smartly (grass-fed), can be a great source of protein and antioxidants. It supports the health of the digestive system, bones, skin, and joints. And when we make gummies ourselves, we control the sugar, and ditch the dyes, corn syrup, and other fake stuff.
Healthy Homemade Gummies
- 3/4 cup 100% juice we like to use organic tart cherry juice or NingXia Red®
- 2 tbsp honey could omit if juice is sweet as is
- 3 tbsp Great Lakes gelatin
- 2 drops Lime Vitality essential oil oil
- In a saucepan, heat the juices over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Lower the heat to the lowest setting and whisk in the honey until fully dissolved.
- Now, whisk in gelatin 1 tbsp at a time, adding another only after it has dissolved. Continue to stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved, about 10 mins.
- Once you have no lumps, just liquid, add supplements if desired.
- Then, remove from heat and carefully transfer the liquid into your gummy molds. It's helpful to place the molds on a sheet pan or similar.
- Chill in the fridge until the gummies are completely firm.
- Pop them out and store in a glass container in your refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.