It’s the end of October and I’m still pulling dark leafy kale out of my garden, which I love using in salads all chopped up and bite size, and yet, I couldn’t resist these tiny, delicate baby spinach leaves at the co-op a few days ago.
It’s a good thing I grabbed them because finding a way to use them led me to creating a salad I can’t get enough of. Let me repeat:
I. Can’t. Get. Enough. Of.
This apple spinach salad combines some of my favorite flavors-oregano, spinach, apple and fresh lemon. Seems like it would make a great spring or summer salad, though is filling in the blanks (of this candida free diet I’m working through) quite well.
The dressing is soooo tasty. When you combine it with the nuts, the soft spinach leaves and the tangy apple, it’s like a party for my tastebuds. I know it’s a hit because even my husband really likes it. He can’t stand vinegar dressings, and since gluten is out for us, that includes most standard dressings.
I love it when everyone is happy.
Apple Spinach Salad
- 3-4 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 1 apple chopped (I like both Sweet Tango and Granny Smith in this)
- 1/2 cup soaked and roasted cashews chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 cube frozen minced garlic
- Toss the spinach together in a bowl with the apple and cashews. Drizzle with dressing and toss.
- If dairy isn't an issue, one could toss in cubes raw cheddar cheese.