Yes, we can use substances free of toxic chemicals to deter bugs and actually enjoy the outdoors this summer! And these recipes are just as easy to whip up. Don’t miss our DIY bug spray for your pets.
If DIY is your jam, here is a great recipe that has helped me so much. I keep a roller bottle full of this stuff in my soccer bag, and I barely even notice that we have bugs until I see my teammates all slapping their thighs and arms — I think it’s time to share my secret with them, too!
One tip for using this roller bottle is to apply it to the pulse points on the body, similar to where you may typically apply perfume (neck, wrists, back of the knees, etc.). It’s going to radiate the scents with each pulse.
If you’re too busy for the DIY route (which I totally get!), I would recommend just buying this insect-repelling oil directly from Young Living. It comes in a big bottle and can be applied all over the body. If you get it and find that you don’t like having to rub it on, just add some of the mixture to a spray bottle or a roller bottle for easier application! My four-year-old is obsessed with this one, as he can apply it by himself and is able to play outside ALL day regardless of how many mosquitoes are out there. It’s been incredible as we love the outdoors, but the insects were a huge deterrent — until we found this!
Roll-On Essential Oils Bug-Off
- 2 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Citronella Essential Oil
- 2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 3 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 2 drops Myrtle Essential Oil
- Young Living V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex
- Add all drops to a 10 ml roller bottle and then top it off with the V-6 oil.
- If you prefer to use this in a spray bottle instead, use a 1 oz spray bottle, add oils and 1 tsp of witch hazel, and then top it off with distilled water.
For more tips and recipes just like this, download our FREE At-Home Health Manual.
This post contains affiliate links.