Wearing your baby in a carrier can be one of the most intimate and memorable experiences as a new mom (or dad!). It is also such a lifesaver when it comes to getting out or getting things done around the house. To help you find your way through the many options available I’d like to share my favorite carriers that are great for newborns, summertime, AND you can continue to use beyond baby’s first birthday.
Two months ago Nichole shared on this blog a few important things every new mom should have, https://www.myhealthybeginning.com/5-things-you-dont-need-as-a-new-mom/. One of those key items was a wrap to wear your baby in and I couldn’t agree more! Why is wearing your baby in a baby carrier such a wonderful thing? Let me share with you why and how to get started baby wearing.
- The connection you build with your baby when holding them close instantly releases the happy hormones for you and regulates baby’s heart rate, breathing, body temperature, and stimulates her brain.
- Babies cry less when they are held in arms or close in a carrier–50% less according to one study!
- It will help you relax a little. I was so nervous as a new mom – all three times! Wearing my newborns I could feel them, see them breathing and knew they are doing ok!
- You can get off the couch (when you’re ready, no rush!) and go for a walk, meet girlfriends for coffee, go grocery shopping, chase your older kiddo, or just do the dishes!
- I could go on and on! Here’s an article from Babywearing International with more: http://www.sweetbabywraps.com/pages/why-wear-your-baby
My three favorite carriers for newborns – that also happen to be great for summer and will last:
- A good ring sling: My favorite ring slings are made from woven baby wraps such as a Girasol ring sling. The woven wrap fabric is made specifically to be perfect for babywearing and will provide both comfort and support. Look for a ring sling that is all cotton or cotton/linen blend, all linen works too but tends to be a bit stiff so I don’t love it for newborns.
- The Wrapsody Stretch Hybrid: This one is a unique wrap that combines the t-shirt softness of a regular stretchy wrap with the support of a woven wrap. The result is a thin (cool in summer!) fabric that stretches in just one direction. It is snuggly with newborns and is one of only two brands of stretchy wraps that can be used for back carries after baby is 6 months old. I want to note that a regular stretchy wrap, like a Moby or Boba is for wearing baby on your front only.
- Emeibaby hybrid buckle carrier: The Emeibaby is my favorite buckle carrier for newborns and continues to be an awesome carrier as baby gets bigger all the way up through 1 ½ and beyond. The Emeibaby is different because no insert is needed for newborns and the fabric panel tightens to fit your baby perfectly just like the ring sling and a wrap would. This is unique because baby is fully supported in this carrier while allowing his back to remain in the natural “C” shape.
Checkout the keys to safe babywearing here: http://www.sweetbabywraps.com/pages/babywearing-safety-and-positioning and please get in touch with your babywearing questions!
Carrie Davis is a Certified Babywearing Educator and owner of Sweet Baby Wraps an online baby carrier boutique based in the Seattle area. She is also a Volunteer Babywearing Educator with the Seattle chapter of Babywearing International. With years of experience babywearing with her three young girls and coaching parents, Carrie is passionate about helping new parents find the right baby carrier for their family. Carrie is a Minnesota native that now calls the Pacific Northwest home.